Friday, January 30, 2015

Rut-Ro: How to Make Your Practice Come Alive Again

Yoga ruts.

They happen.

Just like ruts with everything else we have in life--whether it be our job, relationships, exercise, eating--you name it. It's hard to stay dedicated to the course when inspiration seems to be in hiding and our friend, WillPower,  just isn't strong enough to carry us on his back.

The good news is that the ruts don't last forever. The bad news is that they will happen again. Whether they are currently happening right now for you or not, one thing I do know about yoga and about life, is that it is filled with both peaks of lightness and inspiration and also valleys of apathy and disconnection.

So, how do you get from here to where you want to be?

1) Own it! Wherever you are right now in your practice---both on and off the mat--realize that it's exactly where you are supposed to be and that it's OKAY. It doesn't mean that you're a bad yogi because you don't feel like practicing. It doesn't mean that you are doing something wrong. It just means that you need to pause--find your breath--and take a little inventory inside your heart.

2) Change it up! If you are a regular at a yoga studio and take the same classes every week with the same teacher, switch it up! Try a new studio or a different teacher. I know for me, making myself get out of my comfort zone and trying something new often ignites an inner spark. Or maybe it will just allow you the opportunity to meet new yogis in your area and that alone is pathway for inspiration.

3) Challenge yourself. If you see yourself as a level 1 student and have only been taking level 1 classes, it might be time to bump it up! Who cares if you can't do hand stands in the middle of the room or even push up into a full backbend--often times being around students who are able to do those postures are inspiring but also it's inspiring to give it a shot yourself. You might just surprise yourself.

OR, if you see yourself as a Level 2 or 3 student who only goes to Level 2 or 3 classes, take a beginners class. I most often have my "ah-ha" moments either taking or teaching a basic level 1 yoga class. I personally wish we could do away with "levels" all together because for a lot of yogis it defines how "good" or "advanced" they think they are--when in reality, the most advanced yogi in the room is the one who is taking child's pose in the back.

4) Do an Instagram Challenge! Yep. You heard me right. For months and months I made so much fun of people who participated in those silly challenges. And then I found myself doing one to essentially "mock" those who did them (yes, totally un-yogic like I know) and what I found was that they truly motivated and inspired me to practice on a regular basis and to pay attention to what I thought I knew. It also forces you to be vulnerable. Nothing like posting a pic of yourself falling over or attempting a posture you can't even remotely do to demonstrate that there is no such thing as a perfect posture and that laughing at yourself is therapeutic.

5) Give yourself a break! If you practice 5 days a week, chill out. Take a few days off. Take a month off! Explore new hobbies or pick an old one back up!

6) Get on your mat. At home, in the park, on a hill--wherever. During the lackluster lull, and the constant battle over whether or not I feel like doing yoga--if I can just make myself get on my mat and show up, I at least feel better afterwards. I don't always get an instant spark of inspiration but it does make me feel good --in fact usually good enough to get on my mat again.

7) Read--about other people's yoga journeys. In general, all of us yogi's are seekers. And we all have a pretty great story of how we found yoga. Some of us were addicts who had lost our way, some of us are recovering perfectionists who had to learn to let go of control, some come from extreme religious backgrounds and found yoga as the path way to spirituality, and some found yoga through their distorted body images and eating disorders as the way to find healing and make peace with their bodies. Through whatever ways and however people found yoga--their stories always fascinate me and inspire me.

8) Just be patient. Learn to be still--to be okay with the stillness and the period of "blah-ness" that may be describing your yoga practice right now. Sit with the discomfort. Sit with the stillness. And it will teach you just as much as inspiration if you let it.



Soon enough, inspiration and motivation will find you again. And you will experience new joys and new adventures both on and off your mat.

What are some ways that you've found to motivate and inspire you when you've been at a standstill with your practice? Message me and let me know so I can share it with those who want to hear!

With Joy and Peace,
Jen



*This post was inspired by questions and comments I receive from YOU in my inbox. Got a question or comment about yoga? Email me and hopefully together we can dig deeper to gain a better understanding of certain subjects, find a solution, answer questions, and help others out by sharing it with them.*

No comments:

Post a Comment